Recent comments on posts in the blog:

I wouldn't modify these tips for Windows, since I don't ever use Windows, and haven't ever used Windows for professional software development. I am completely ignorant of how anything works in Windows. Sorry.
Comment by Mon Feb 26 19:29:49 2018
How would you modify these tips for someone using Git on Windows? You make several mentions of Debian here. Thanks much!
Comment by dave Mon Feb 26 15:09:55 2018

Your example starts screen with a script containing screen -t irssi irssi.

This script is not really a config file like the ones you would use via screen's -c configfilename option.

script's "real" config files can contain commands which would be not recognised by your way of doing it.

Your way is starting screen -t ... in an already running outer screen what makes the inner screen recognise running in screen and therefore delegating its commands to the outer screen.

Comment by yeti Sun Jan 28 08:31:20 2018

Thanks for your comment.

Yes it's missing content because of a formatting error in the source (there should be an empty line before the code block). The output that it was supposed to have is:

$ awk <testdata '{ split($0, A, /->/); print A[2] }'

I'll get it fixed.

Comment by Richard Maw Mon Nov 20 13:33:51 2017

Hi, thanks for this great blog!

Regarding the cut example: the last line says "For this more complicated tools need to be used. $ awk /); print A[2] }' b", I think something is missing. Regarding the sort/uniq paragraph: the option I find more useful of uniq is "-c" for counting occourrences.

Comment by riccio Sat Nov 18 10:58:40 2017
You're right, that would've been a better word choice. Thanks.
Comment by Wed Nov 1 12:40:04 2017
Might I suggest rather than "short", you really mean that communication should be kept "brief" or "concise".
Comment by lesley.g.mitchell Wed Nov 1 12:22:00 2017

Computer/Programming/Information Ethics is a whole discipline in itself, though it is certainly a topic that every programmer really ought have some grounding in.

The Wikipedia page on the topic - - is a good place to start for more general information and some ideas about what to consider.

For a more philosophical exploration of the topic, the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy has some good articles, such as: and

There are also a whole range of books on the topic both from computing perspectives and more philosophical ones.

The Open University also offers a free course on the subject, Introducing Ethics in Information and Computer Sciences

Comment by lesley.g.mitchell Thu Oct 26 12:43:51 2017

"Does it promote $BADTHINGS, directly or indirectly?"

Slippery surface, as one can easily put GPG/TOR/GNUNet (and loosely following your example, R) in that $BADTHINGS basket.
A medical professional cures people regardless, a lawyer defends their client regardless: is a Free Software contributor more equipped to indulge in this deontological Pandora's box?

Comment by fa-ml Wed Oct 25 13:15:15 2017

Thanks Ben. I've made that change.

I unfortunately wrote this article before I discussed this issue at DebConf.

Comment by Richard Maw Sat Oct 21 16:11:41 2017